No announcement yet.

*FLASH: Dynamite/Top Cow Join Forces!*

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• *FLASH: Dynamite/Top Cow Join Forces!*

This just in from Dynamite...

Witchblade: Shades of Gray Begins First of Three Crossovers for Top Cow and Dynamite

November 10, 2006, Runnemede, NJ – Dynamite Entertainment today announces their first of three crossover events with Witchblade and The Darkness publisher Top Cow for 2007! This marks the first crossover between Top Cow and Dynamite Entertainment, and will begin with a Four Issue Mini-Series event titled WITCHBLADE: SHADES OF GRAY. The Mini-Series will star Top Cow’s Witchblade, as well as debut Dynamite’s Dorian Gray! WITCHBLADE: SHADES OF GRAY is scheduled for a February release.

WITCHBLADE: SHADES OF GRAY, not only marks the first ever Top Cow/Dynamite crossover, but the story will also serve as the introduction to Dynamite’s version of Oscar Wilde’s murderous and mysterious title character from his novel The Picture of Dorian Gray, first published in 1890. The Mini-Series is being written by Leah Moore and John Reppion and will feature the artistic debut of Stephen Segovia as well as an all-star roster of cover artists, including Billy Tan, E-Bas and Stephen Segovia!

"Dynamite's a shining new publisher who has captured quite a bit of the market. They are the biggest launching publisher from the last 10 years, and our working with them makes perfect sense. They're creating three cross-overs, and releasing them over the next year, as we are working on our projects and the Marvel projects (had to mention that :-). What impressed me the most, is that they brought in Leah Moore and John Reppion off the bat. Very nice. We are only doing cross-overs with Marvel and Dynamite - as cross-overs need to make sense and be fun!"

About the crossover project and the debut of their Dorian Gray, Dynamite stated, “This is our first crossover with Top Cow and it’s going to be huge. We're having lots of fun with a great story! Top Cow has become a staple in the comic book industry, and to be working with them is really exciting! We’re looking at Witchblade: Shades of Gray as a classic in the making. Witchblade is an immensely popular character with an incredible history, and we can’t think of a better way to introduce our rendition of the ageless Dorian Gray then through a legacy as ancient and mysterious as the Witchblade! As for Dorian Gray- for fans who slept through their literature class, he’s the man who “sold himself to the devil for a pretty face.” Gray is an enigmatic character, rather unpredictable and as likely to be the hero as much as the villain. Our rendition is going to make cool use of Gray’s immortality and tap into his more vicious side. Is he friend or foe? Well, let's just say that the tale being told will touch base on his history with "witchblades". Additionally, the mini-series has a superb creative team. The writing talents of both Leah Moore and John Reppion are perfect to craft this mystery through the ages, and fans are going to go wild over the artistic debut of Stephen Segovia! Topping it all off the series will feature a gallery of cover artists including Billy Tan, E-Bas and Stephen Segovia!

Shrouded in mystery, the Witchblade has known many friends and many foes in its long history, but it has never faced such a mystery as the troubled Dorian Gray! Now, the two meet in a special DYNAMITE/TOP COW CROSSOVER EVENT!

In the first issue, we follow Detective Sara Pezzini and her new rookie partner as they race to stop a murdering madman. Waiting and watching in the shadows is the enigmatic Gray who may or may not be the murderer they seek! With the action spanning the globe as well as exploring Gray’s coloured past, this is an event not to be missed!

Featuring a story that spans the ages from the deft hands of writers Leah Moore and John Reppion, WITCHBLADE: SHADES OF GRAY also features the debut of Stephen Segovia and an all-star roster of cover artists, including Billy Tan, e-Bass and Segovia!

To find a comic shop near you, call 1-888-comicbook

Dynamite plans to have incredible support for this release with house ads, Diamond Previews Ads, online ads through news websites, as well as prints ads in Comic Shop News!

DYNAMITE ENTERTAINMENT was founded in 2004 and is home to several best-selling titles and properties. Beginning with their Army of Darkness comic book series – launching as the #1 independent comic in July of '04 – and recently ranked the #1 selling Independent Horror comic -- and continuing to their best-selling Red Sonja series – issue #0 alone selling over 240,000 copies and ongoing issues and one-shots recently ranked among the best-selling titles in unit sales and dollar volume – and not only has Dynamite consistently released Red Sonja as THE top selling single comic outside of Marvel and DC Comics, Dynamite successfully places more titles in the Top 100 than most non-Marvel, non-DC publishers. Dynamite's new monthly Battlestar Galactica series is the company's first major launch of '06, debuting with an impressive 175,000 copies in initial orders sold for the introductory #0 issue. Dynamite’s ongoing Highlander comic book series launched to excess of 100,000 copies sold for issue #0. The recently released The Lone Ranger #1 sold out on its first day in comic shops, went in to an immediate 2nd printing, and the 2nd printing sold out from Dynamite!

Now, in addition to the ongoing Red Sonja and AOD series, DYNAMITE has released the all-new Battlestar Galactica comic by Greg Pak and Nigel Raynor – launching with a specially priced #0 issue, having sold in excess of 175,000 copies and recently featured in the pages of TV Guide, A classic Battlestar Galactica comic book series, Xena by John Layman and Fabiano Neves, a Darkman vs. the Army of Darkness mini-series and is preparing the Lone Ranger with Brett Matthews and John Cassaday – and Dynamite has more on the horizon!

In addition to the creators mentioned - Dynamite works with some of the most high profile creators in comics, including Alex (Justice) Ross, John (Astonishing X-Men) Cassaday, Michael (Superman/Batman, Aspen Comics) Turner, Jim (All-Star Batman) Lee, Michael (Red Sonja) Avon Oeming, Mike (Red Sonja/X-Men) Carey, Jim (Justice) Kruegar, Greg (The Incredible Hulk) Pak, Brett (Serenity, The Lone Ranger) Matthews - as well as working with up and coming new talent and enhancing strong creators!

The company also produces new and classic material from such creators as Paul Gulacy and Doug Moench's Six from Sirius, Tim Truman's Scout, Carlos Trillo and Eduardo Risso's Borderline and other titles including Jim Starlin's Dreadstar, in addition to reprint editions of classic Red Sonja material and more.

For updated information on Dynamite Entertainment and their titles, please visit the Dynamite website at

Aussie Aussie Aussie! Oi Oi Oi!

Hail thy Lord and Master Dynamite Entertainment!

Love that second cover!

That is Awesome News!!! I'm a big Witchblade fan. I have been collecting Witchblade from the start of it's series. You guys Rock!!

Me so Happy!!!!

There's nothing I hate more in the "comic book scene" than a Serie that starts off as a crossover... specially a crossver with a comic I dont even read

What's with all the negativity towards crossovers? Look at this as a positive thing. If you've never read this before, how do any of you know you won't like this just because it's a crossover? I don't know much about the Witchblade and The Darkness and I don't mind this. Why? Because I get to be introduced to new characters.

Take the sour-sucker out of your mouths everybody

Witchblade rocks! I've been getting it since #80 when it was re-launched (or something), and every issue has been awesome. This'll be a great crossover!

What an odd, odd pairing. (And, looking at those covers, I'm assuming that the homoerotic subtext of Wilde's original novel will be rather absent here.)

Incidentally, it was nice of the witchblade gauntlet to supply Sara with complimentary high heels.

Originally posted by Dr Nightmare
                What's with all the negativity towards crossovers? Look at this as a positive thing. If you've never read this before, how do any of you know you won't like this just because it's a crossover?
                For me, starting a new serie in a crossover is terrible for the following reason:

1- Gives the impression as if the creators of the new serie werent so sure of it success, they had to make a crossover onto a very popular comic knowing that Those Fans would buy it and thus knowing they'd be sure to have readers

2- In crossovers origins of either main crossover characters are always explained in a nut shell so that both fan base that never read the other comic crossing with knows what it's all about... making a 1-3 pages long origin and thus prolly missing the whole experience of what made either serie great and so, not really "touching" the heart of the other fan base.

3- This point is purely personnal on my behalf, and kinds of relate to #2 but, when a story involves a cross over, specially with a comic I dont even read, I feel forced to buy all the other comic to make the collection complete so that I could truly understand everything to get the feel of it all.

In the case of Gray / Witchblade... I know what Witchblade is about, but I never bothered reading a single issue... never got attracked to it... I dunno, the whole gauntlet thing giving Sarah Pezzini High Heels to fight evil is just incredibly wrong IMO LOL I can take a metal scale bikini in the middle of winter to fight evil, but a gauntlet that will morph a batte armor into high heels is where I've drawn the line LOL

I used to hate bunnies and then discovered they tasted great, come on, give crossovers a chance! (worst comparison ever, right? lol...)

Witchy woman

Due to the announcement of the Dynamite Dorian Gray/Witchblade upcoming crossover, I pulled this out of my personal stash. I know it's not a Dynamite book, and I apologize if I step on anybody's toes, but for those of you who never heard of Witchblade, I thought this would be a treat. Notice whose name is on the cover, plus he also does the interior art as well. And I'm not talking about Brian. The artist's name is above the name Brian.

Is it just me or can no one else read that cover?

Oh well, cool art!

It's Michael Turner, who did a cover for New BSG #1 and one for Red Sonja #1.
                        Last edited by MadMikeyD; 11-11-2006, 07:27 PM.
                        DECODER RING THEATRE
                        EDGAR RICE BURROUGHS
                        PROJECT SUPERPOWERS DATABASE
                        PUBLIC DOMAIN SUPER HEROES

Lol, it looked like "My Camel Turned" since the picture is a little pixelated

*Merged Threads...*

**This doesn't really belong in the Fan Art section, so I'm shifting it to a more appropriate location... **

As the above picture is a little hard to read, here is a link to Witchblade #1 at the Top Cow site:

You can even read the comic online. Simply click on the link (it's #3 under "Most Popular") and it will load. I've actually got this issue in a collected volume of Michael Turner's work. It rocks!

Originally posted by Amelia
                            What an odd, odd pairing. (And, looking at those covers, I'm assuming that the homoerotic subtext of Wilde's original novel will be rather absent here.)

Incidentally, it was nice of the witchblade gauntlet to supply Sara with complimentary high heels.
                            This is likely a safe assumption. I'd never heard of a Dorian Grey comic before now, and had only read Wilde's text. However, though homo-erotic influence upon the comic will no doubt be minimal (albeit, if Grey is the villain of the tale, it may be present in some measure, to the extent to which such themes are often used in comic literature), I do see the sexualised portrayal of the characters as converging rather nicely with Wilde's broader doctrine of aestheticism.

Last edited by Tommy; 11-11-2006, 08:14 PM. Reason: Issues of tidiness... :)

My bad, I shrunk it because I didnt want to take up bandwidth. And as I stated earlier, I don't wish to step on anybody's toes. It was just put up there to show some old school Turner. My Apologies.