TV Review: ARROW S7 E16 'Star City 2040'

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• TV Review: ARROW S7 E16 'Star City 2040'

This week’s episode of Arrow was one that I was least looking forward to. I have not been a fan of the flash-forward story so far and following Mia (Katherine McNamara) and William (Ben Lewis) into the Glades wasn’t high on my list of things to do. The two are basically sibling versions of Oliver (Stephen Amell) and Felicity (Emily Bett Rickards) with Mia taking after her father and William more like his stepmom. This picks up from the coordinates that they got at the end of last episode.

The episode starts in the near future with the birth of Mia and Oliver is there. He doesn’t appear in any of the rest of the episode. Also, timing wise, this will coincide with the upcoming Crisis on Infinite Earths that will take place in December and will mark the end of the series. We don’t know what happens to Oliver, but we get to see that Mia is trained by Nyssa Al Ghul (Katrina Law), which explains why she’s such a bad-ass. We also find out that Felicity has been working to help Star City from her location in the middle of nowhere. Mia finds it a betrayal and head into the city where she takes the name Black Star and starts fighting. Catching us up to when we met her.

Mia and William scale the wall into the Glades and then walk into Galaxy One as himself to have a meeting with the head of the company, Kevin Dale (Raj Paul). Meanwhile Zoe (Andrea Sixtos), Roy (Colton Haynes) and Dinah (Juliana Harkavy) discover the connection to Galaxy One and plan to visit the company when Rene (Rick Gonzalez) pays them a visit, explaining to them that Galaxy One plans to evacuate Star City before blowing it up to help speed up the recover time and saving it like they did The Glades. They explain that Galaxy One is a front for Eden Corp and bad news. Back with the others, William gets in no problem, but the alarms go off when Mia scans, but she is saved by Connor Hawke (Joseph David-Jones) who turns out to be working for Knightwatch (A good version of ARGUS) and helps them once they get a sample of Dale’s DNA.

The use Dale’s DNA to get into the lower levels and discover a very much alive Felicity. Then they head for the bombs and are joined by the rest of Team Arrow only to discover the bombs have been moved into place already. Rene appears and explains that the had been lied to and that the bombs were going off that night and the trigger was on Dale himself. This forces the team to work together and infiltrate a costume party / celebration. We see Mia take on a bunch of guards and kick major butt. Then she makes an amazing shot to take out the trigger and Team Arrow saves Star City… followed by Mayor Rene putting a bounty on their heads again.

Turns out that the bombs were only part of the plan, there is some kind of freaky looking headset tied into the Archer program that Dale plans to use to take control of Star City… and we learn that Felicity is actually the person who created the Archer program… an A.I. version of the security system she put on their apartment.

Overall the episode was fine, just don’t see the purpose or how it ties into the overall narrative of the season. All it’s doing so far is making it feel inevitable that Oliver is not going to get a happy ending. William never hears for at least 20 years. Mia is raised without him. Something so bad happens that Felicity goes and hides outside of the city. It’s almost like they’ve changed the opening to say, “My name is Oliver Queen… I’m dead now. Let me show you how it happened.” Here’s hoping that’s not the case.
Working...
X