No announcement yet.

The Green Hornet series MEGATHREAD!

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• I am enjoying this series despite what others have been saying about it, I just basicly consider this to be a continuation of the GH story after the original duo retired. I enjoy the plot and I'm loving the new female Kato, she's a real interesting character and I like the new GH too.

THumbs way up!

Comment

• Seriously, I am glad you are enjoying it Chadster. One obvious truth is that, with all the GH series that DE is putting out, not all of them are going to appeal to everybody. In fact, they are so different from each other that it would be very odd to find somebody who liked them all! Smith's Hornet & Kato are not my cups of tea and I have to talk myself into buying them to finish the story. On the other hand, GH:Year One and Kato Origins is very much my cup of tea and I am likely to buy multiple copies just so I can shove them into other people's hands.

My personal jury is still out on GH Strikes.

And GH Golden Age Remastered is just fun!

Comment

• Wheeeee!!!!

Wheeeeee! Issue one of GH Golden Age Remastered is finally out and it is a blast! From the past, even! Oh, it isn't great literature and the art is very much of-its-time, but there is a great verve to the stories (four in one issues--quite a change in a time when most comics have trouble telling one story in four issues!).

Comment

• I am having trouble grasping the plot line of this series, too. But I suspect that may be because there was such a gap between issue one and issue two. When I get a chance I am going to read them back-to-back. Maybe then I can figure out whether I like this series or not!

Comment

• I do like it but there's a little something missing: a reason to care for any of these characters.

Comment

• Originally posted by Ghornet2 View Post
              Why does everyone have to play with Kato's nationality. In the radio show he was oriental/possibly Japanese until WW2 then he became Philipino for good reason. The movie seerials had him as Korean, now Kevin Smith has him as Chinese. SIGH!

Now comics explained the Japanese/Philipino change as protecting Kato from the interment camps. That worked but why do we have to keep playing with it??
              I guess because there's no definitive answer to the question, so writers work it in how it best suits them.

Comment

• Originally posted by Mr. Fantastic View Post
                They made Kato a female. That only lasted for a few issues before the Green Hornet Inc. put a stop to it. Which raises the question of why Dynamite is doing it?
                In the Now books, was it a father-daughter thing? Or was there only one Kato character that happened to be female?

I don't see GH Inc. having too hard a time with the current attempt, since Kato is in the book as well. He trains Mulan and is himself part of the action. But I can't compare that to what Now did since I haven't read those.

Comment

• Actually, I think it is because it is trying to set this up as a sequel to the TV series and Bruce Lee was Chinese. While I am not usually a Smith Defender, I think he was kind of stuck with that fact and is working his way around it.

Comment

• My memory is a little faulty, but I think NOW's female Kato (Mishi) was a half-sister to the TV Kato, both being the children of the Radio Kato, but from different mothers. And I think one of the mothers was Chinese to explain the Chinese-looking Bruce Lee Kato.

And male Kato was sort of around in the NOW books when Mishi was playing the Kato part (but not playing a huge roll) and GH Inc. still bounced it as not being true to the character--but that was circa 20 years ago and those attitudes may have changed.

Comment

• Yes. She was the his half sister. She had 3 older brothers. Here is the family tree from Now Comics.

The Kato Family Tree

Oshura (m 1946)m Ikano Kato m Marie Granier (m 1963)

Hayashi Kato (b 1948) Mishi Kato (b1964)
                      Kumura Kato (b 1950)
                      Hatami Kato (b 1951)

Originally posted by Tulku View Post
                      My memory is a little faulty, but I think NOW's female Kato (Mishi) was a half-sister to the TV Kato, both being the children of the

Comment

• Interview w/Parks:

http://www.newsarama.com/comics/gree...ks-100811.html

Newsarama: Ande, how'd you get involved with this project? What was the appeal of Green Hornet to you?

Ande Parks: Nick at Dynamite asked me to pitch a prequel series to Kevin Smith's Green Hornet book. He wanted a story about the last days of the mob in Century City. That's a done deal for me! It's really appealing to have a chance to portray Kevin's version of Green Hornet and Kato in their primes. Add a bunch of mobster intrigue to the mix, and I'm sold.

Nrama: Now, since this is a prequel to the Kevin Smith series, this is following Britt Reid, Sr., correct?

Parks: Yeah, we're dealing with the few months leading up to the opening flashback of Kevin's Green Hornet book. This is Britt, Sr. and the original Kato in action.

Nrama: Since in the flagship Green Hornet book, we only see him in his twilight years, can you tell us a little bit about Britt and Kato in this stage of their lives?

Parks: Blood Ties deals with the very tail end of Britt's war on crime, so this is the story of two men who are now very good at what they do. That means more than just the fighting (although they're good at kicking some bad guy ass, obviously). It means that they have become experts at manipulating the criminals: pitting them against each other, forming and breaking alliances with different factions, etc.

On the other hand, these are two men who have put almost everything else in their lives on hold for this mission. With the bad guys of Century City almost completely defeated, they are looking ahead, wondering what they're going to do with the rest of their lives.

Nrama: How about the crime families of Century City that the Green Hornet and Kato have to face? What can you tell us about them?

Parks: Two of them were set up by Kevin in the first scene of his series. That's Don Fennelli and Oni Juuma. Oni Juuma and his family already played a part in our Kato series, so I get to explore his past in greater depth. In Blood Ties, we show what led up to the power meeting between Juuma and Fannelli that we saw in Kevin's Green Hornet book.

We also have a lot of intrigue between the two families and another Century City boss. I asked myself how Don Fennelli came to be the guy that lasted the longest against the assault of Green Hornet and Kato. I think our answer to that question is very interesting.

Nrama: For you, how did you approach this script, since you've had the Kevin Smith copy moving ahead of you? Are you trying to match anything that Smith wrote or are you shooting for something completely different?

Parks: I have to write with my own voice, but the work is definitely informed by the foundation that Kevin built. I keep his style in mind, particularly when writing the dynamic between Britt and Kato. In writing the mob and Yakuza sides of the equation, I don't have that template in place, so it's more free-wheeling.

Nrama: And touching upon that a little bit with all these different incarnations of the Green Hornet running around, there's a lot of room for Easter Eggs and putting your own spin on things. Is there anything you've been able to add to the mythos that you're particularly excited about?

Parks: Since I was already writing the Kato series, which deals with the original Kato's daughter taking the reins on that heroic legacy, I had a world I could reach out to and coordinate with. That's been really fun for me, and I think it will be fun for readers who follow both books. While the series are set some twenty years apart, there are interesting connections between the two. Characters will show up in Blood Ties who will defnitely resonate with fans of Kato.

Nrama: Let's talk a little bit about the artist on this book, Johnny Desjardins. He worked as a protege for David Finch, right? What's the back-and-forth been like between you two?

Parks: Right. You can see the Finch influence in Johnny's work. The figures are amazingly dynamic, and the backgrounds are really rich and convincing. There's real depth in Johnny's work, too. This is a book that features a lot of very personal moments in the lives of those involved. In the hands of a lesser artist, these scenes could fall flat. Johnny's characters are so real that I think the quiet moments carry a lot of weight.

Johnny and I exchange messages from time to time. It's been very exciting to see how he is running with the script and making it his own. This is a really satisfying collaboration. I think that will show in the final product.

Nrama: Finally, just to wrap up for the people who still aren't convinced about Green Hornet: Blood Ties, what would you say to get them on board?

Parks: This is an entertaining book, full of good Green Hornet and Kato action. It's more than that, though. It's also full of intrigue on the other side of the legal equation. I think it's fascinating to see how the "bad guys" are dealing with Green Hornet's increasingly threatening war on crime. These are real people, with real concerns about their livelihoods and their families. Pulling the curtain back on that world is interesting to me.

This is a rich series, full of intersecting loyalties and agendas. And, you get to stare at Johnny's stunning artwork. In my own humble opinion, that is too good to pass up.

Comment

• Parallel Lives #2

I know few people care, but...

#1 wasn't a bad book, it just felt useless. I found 2's explanation of Kato's approach to fighting interesting, and I'm interested in the opinions of others who read it (if any) however I just don't really care about this Kato all that much. At least not to be taken through his whole childhood. I'm okay with there being several versions of the Hornet at Dynamite, but since this one likely won't last past the movie, it's hard to get into.

And it continues to reinforce that the Green Hornet will be a complete tool.
                          Last edited by Captain Canuck; 08-13-2010, 04:32 PM.

Comment

• Green Hornet Golden Age Remastered #1

I got this in the mail today and even though it isn't my cup of tea I would say it's definately give this book a read if your a GH fan, it kind of opened my eyes to the history of the character and I really enjoyed it. I wouldn't put it at the top of all of my GH reading but if your a hardcore fan then I would definitely say that this book is indeed a must have piece of your collection. Sadly there isn't much for extra's, I don't know why but I was expecting some extra included content for the old school fans.
                            Dynamite Entertainment
                            Forum Administrator

Check out Dynamite on Twitter here!

Comment

• I think it will be interesting to see the evolution of the characters and in how the stories are told. That's what I'm most looking forward to.

Comment

• One thing that kept bothering me about this book was that whatever way they used to convert and transfer the lettering was pretty bad about changing or combining letters which meant the word balloons were fraught with spelling errors. There were times when an I followed by a C became a K, times when a V became a Y or a Y became a V and times when an L and an I became a U and those are just off the top of my head.

How much would it cost to have someone sit down and read a proof copy to spell-check that kind of thing? Really? That is something that bothers me about most golden age reprints.

Comment

Working...
                                X