Ultimate Dynamite Pulp Reading Order

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Ultimate Dynamite Pulp Reading Order

I have been reading some new comics and re-reading old ones and I am starting to put together a definitive reading order for the Dynamite Pulp Universe. Such a thing clearly exists even if it doesn't encompass all of Dynamite's pulp titles.

The Spider, for example, is set in Modern times but with a Noir feel to the world and yet in Masks 1 the Spider appears in the pulp era. Furthermore Masks 1 features a first meeting between Shadow and Green Hornet even though the first meeting that seems more canonical is in Dark Knights.

So this is what I have so far. It seems like titles by Michael Uslan, Mark Waid, and Matt Wagner are easier to place into canon than some of the other writers.

Some titles are easy to place. All of the Zorro titles have to come first because he exists so much earlier in the timeline. Lone Ranger clearly comes next, the actual order of these is based upon the reading order Pulphero gave me. After that we get to the actual pulp era of the 20s, 30s, and 40s, here there are a lot of crossovers and books that provide dates that are fairly easy to place. I have included evidence as to where these go in relation to one another.

Feel free to add other titles but please provide evidence as to when they take place. Do not rely on volume numbers as Shadow vol 1 clearly takes place after the other Shadow books and "Noir: The Mohawk Templar" these books are canon with one another but I have yet to figure out if they should fit within the canon below.

Anyway, without further adieu.... the reading order.

Pre-Pulp Era
    Zorro 1-3
    Zorro Rides Again
    Lady Zorro
    Lone Ranger Vols. 14
    Lone Ranger Snake of Iron
    Lone Ranger: The Death of Zorro
    Lone Ranger Vols. 5-8
    Lone Ranger Vindicated

Pulp Era
    Green Hornet Year 1
    ⦁ Referenced in Champions of Justice and kind of happens around the same time and overlaps a bit.
    Lone Ranger/Green Hornet Champions of Justice
    ⦁ Bulk of the action in 1936-1938
    ⦁ Origin Story for Green Hornet
    Green Hornet/The Shadow Dark Nights
    ⦁ Bulk of the action in 1939
    ⦁ Hornet Established
    Justice Inc.
    ⦁ Mentions that the events at the end of Dark Nights happened "last month"
    Justice Inc. The Avengers
    ⦁ First page kicks off in "Spring 1940"
    Mark Waid's Green Hornet vol 1 and 2
    ⦁ Daily Sentinel at the beginning of volume 1 indicates date as October 1941

Some nice work there. this thread should be pinned up!

Comment

You can never make them all fit perfectly, anyway. It's just different writers each doing their own thing.

Some titles you left out:

Django/Zorro
      Lady Rawhide
      Lady Rawhide/Lady Zorro
      Kato Origins
      The Shadow
      The Shadow Year One
      Grendel/The Shadow
      The Shadow: The Death of Margo Lane
      Will Eisner's The Spirit
      Will Eisner's The Spirit: The Corpse Makers
      Doc Savage
      Doc Savage: The Spider's Web
      Doc Savage: The Ring of Fire
      Masks
      Masks 2
      Last edited by pulphero; 05-17-2017, 12:06 AM.

Comment

Working...
      X