No announcement yet.

Zorro comics MEGATHREAD!

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• NWZ DVD available 01-25-11

The New World Zorro (aka Family Channel Zorro) will be available for purchase on January 25, 2011.

The series starred Duncan Regehr, Patrice Martinez, Henry Darrow, Michael Tylo, J.G. Hertzler, James Victor, Efram Zimbalist Jr. and Juan Diego Botto.

For order information or to see the cover art go to

• Disney's Zorro 1957-8

Originally posted by KillerKnight View Post
      sorry I only remember the Zorro from the 50's. I even had a Zorro costume to play with when I was 6.
      That was Walt Disney's Zorro starring the marvelous Guy Williams as Zorro/Don Diego de la Vega. Far and away the best screen Zorro IMHO. Only 2 seasons, unfortunately, but Disney has finally released both of them on DVD.

• So what happened to this great comics series?

This series was so close in look and story to the Guy Williams' Zorro, I wondered when the books stopped showing up in my file at my local comics' store. Has the series ended? I really enjoyed it and I hope it will be continued. Thanks.

• Zorro, Lone Ranger team up in new comic

• Why kill off Zorro

Were sales so low for Dynamite's ZORRO that they have to kill off the character? Glad there is a new storyline but sorry to see this quality comic disappear.

• Zorro Radio Dramas

There's a lot going on in the world of radio drama when it comes to Zorro. If you're on Facebook join the Zorro Radio Dramas page for news and updates.

• Zorro Audio Drama Updates

"The Mark of Zorro" (aka "The Curse of Capistrano") produced by multi-award winning audio dramatist Yuri Rasovsky and Hollywood Theater of the Ear will be released on April 1, 2011 by Blackstone Audio Publishing. It features Val Kilmer as Zorro and Ruth Livier as Lolita Pulido. The cast also includes Elizabeth Peņa, Armin Shimmerman, Meshach Taylor, Keith Szarabajka, Ned Schmidtke, Scott Brick, Stefan Rudnicki, Kristoffer Tabori, Philip Proctor, John Sloan, and Gordo Panza

"Zorro and the Pirate Raiders" (aka "The Further Adventures of Zorro") was produced as a full-cast audio drama by award winning (Parents Choice Award and Ogle Award) Colonial Radio Theater on the Air in 2009. It was released on cd through Brilliance Audio Publishing November 7, 2010. The production features Kevin Cirone as Diego de la Vega/Zorro.

"Zorro Rides Again" the full-cast audio drama sequel to Zorro and the Pirate Raiders from Colonial Radio Theater was released on February 15, 2011 through Brilliance Audio Publishing. This production also features Kevin Cirone as Diego de la Vega/Zorro.

American Radio Theater will produce a Disney-New World style Zorro full-cast audio drama. This production will be approximately 4 hours in length and be presented in four episodes. (Episode 1: A Fox's Tale. Episode 2: The Fox Trap. Episode 3: The Fox and the Hound. Episode 4: The Secret Plans) Gregg Porter will voice the role of Diego de la Vega/Zorro.

Posters for all four productions can be seen on the Zorro's Lair facebook page.

• The Mark of Zorro

Of the literally thousands of radio dramas I've heard The Mark of Zorro is one the best I've ever had the pleasure to listen to. I'd rank this one in my top 5 all-time favorites. I'd put this one in the same category as the original Star Wars radio dramas and the BBC produced Murder on the Orient Express. This production features some of the best voice acting I've ever heard.

• Zorro Audio/Radio Drama History

The History of Zorro in the world of Audio/Radio Drama:

* Disney Zorro: [1. Presenting Seņor Zorro; 2. Zorro Frees The Indians; 3. Zorro And The Ghost; 4. Zorro's Daring Rescue] (1957) released by Disneyland Records/ Buena Vista Records release. These albums retold stories from the Disney Zorro television series and featured Guy Williams as Zorro and Don Diego, Henry Calvin as Sergeant Garcia, Phil Ross as Monastario, Jan Arvan as Torres, Jimmie Dodd from The Mickey Mouse Club as Padre Felipe, with other voices by Dallas McKennon and sound effects by Jimmy Macdonald and Eddie Forrest. Record story adaptations by Bob Thomas and George Sherman. Music composed and conducted by William Lava.

* The Adventures of Zorro. (1957) Based on the original Johnston McCulley story The Curse of Capistrano (aka The Mark of Zorro). It was written by Maria Little, directed by Robert M. Light and produced by Mitchell Gertz. This short-lived radio show was a series of short episodes. Only a handful of episodes are known to have survived.

* The Mark of Zorro. (1997) [No longer available] Produced by the BBC it starred Mark Arden as Zorro, Louise Lombard as Lolita and Glyn Houston as Friar Felipe. It aired in 5 parts.
                    1. July 03 97 Night of the Fox:
                    2. July 10 97 Deadly Reckonings:
                    3. July 17 97 The Avenging Blade
                    4. July 24 97 The Place of Skulls
                    5. July 31 97 The Gathering Storm

* Zorro and the Pirate Raiders. (2009) Based on the D.J. Arneson adaptation of Johnston McCulley's The Further Adventures of Zorro. Produced by Colonial Radio Theatre on the Air. Published by Brilliance Audio. Written by Jerry Robbins and Deniz Cordell. It features Kevin Cirone, Shonna McEachern, Hugh Metzler, J.T. Turner, Sam Donato, Joseph Zamperelli Jr., and Dan Powell.

* Zorro Rides Again. (2011) Based on the D.J. Arneson adaptation of Johnston McCulley's Zorro Rides Again. Produced by Colonial Theatre on the Air. Published by Brilliance Audio. Written by Jerry Robbins and Deniz Cordell. It features the voice talents of Kevin Cirone, Jeremy Benson, Shonna McEachern, Shana Dirk, Sam Donato, and Hugh Metzler.

* The Mark of Zorro. (2011) The action adventure story that inspired a legend. Based on the original Johnston McCulley Zorro story The Curse of Capistrano (aka The Mark of Zorro). Produced by Hollywood Theater of the Ear for Blackstone Audio. Written and directed and co-produced by the multi-award winning Yuri Rasovsky. Executive Producers: John Gertz of Zorro Productions and Josh Stanton of Blackstone Audio. Associate Producer Daryl McCullough. It features the voice talents of Val Kilmer as Diego de la Vega/Zorro, Ruth Livier as Lolita Pulido, Elizabeth Peņa as Doņa Catalina Pulido, Armin Shimmerman as the Landlord, Meshach Taylor as Sgt Pedro Gonzalez, Keith Szarabajka as Cpt Ramone, Ned Schmidtke as Don Carlos Pulido, Scott Brick as the Governor, Stefan Rudnicki as Fray Felipe, Kristoffer Tabori as Don Alejando de la Vega, Philip Proctor as Don Audre, John Sloan as the Magistrado, and Gordo Panza in numerous roles.

* Zorro: The Legend Begins. (2012?) A four episode story (1. A Fox's Tale 2. The Fox Trap 3. The Fox and the Hound 4. The Secret Plans) based on concepts from the Disney Zorro and New World Zorro TV series along with references to many of the other various incarnations of Zorro. Written by Daryl McCullough and Joy Jackson. Produced by American Radio Theater. Executive Producers: John Gertz of Zorro Productions, Joy Jackson and Mike Wheeler of American Radio Theater. It features the voice talents of Gregg Porter as Diego de la Vega/Zorro, Michael "Moki" O'Reilly as the Alcalde Luis Montero, Dan Schindler as Ramon Martinez, Kim Turner as Don Alejandro de la Vega, Ken Liesse as Sgt Garcia, Dave Liesse as Corp Reyes, Patrick McNally as the announcer, Mary Moore-Campagna as the Dueņa, Harry Thiel as Guard #1, and Joy Jackson as the wife of Ramon Martinez. Also in the cast Melinda Mains, Beth Schlansky,, Connie Chaplan, and Marge Lutton, Live sound effects by Marilyn Wilt and Penny Swanberg.

• Listen to The Mark of Zorro audio trailer

To listen to the audio trailer to Hollywood Theater of the Ear's new full-cast audio drama The Mark of Zorro starring Val Kilmer go to:

• Zorro radio drama trailers

Zorro creator Johnston McCulley's first three Zorro tales are now available as full-cast audio dramas. Below is a link to a sample of each production.

The Mark of Zorro starring Val Kilmer by Hollywood Theater of the Ear.

Zorro and the Pirate Raiders produced by Colonial Radio Theater.

Zorro Rides Again produced by Colonial Radio Theater.

• Matt Wagner takes on "Zorro Rides Again".

For all you Zorro junkies out there, Matt Wagner takes on writing chores of Zorro Rides Again!
                          Dynamite Entertainment
                          Forum Administrator

Check out Dynamite on Twitter here!

• Sweet. I am always ready to read whatever Matt Wagner is writing.

• That is good news. The prior series did leave rather a lot hanging when it went on hiatus. Of course, Wagner will have to be careful when writing not to shake off new readers with too many references to the prior series, so I would expect the first issue or so to be a bit of a recap.

• Your favorite Zorro?

Who's your favorite Zorro? Guy Williams, Duncan Regehr, Tyrone Power, Douglas Fairbanks, Antonio Banderas, Someone else? You can cast your vote by going to the Zorro Swashbuckling News and Updates Blog.

Every vote counts so please add yours!
                                Last edited by D. Mack; 05-20-2011, 09:55 AM.