July Reboot

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• July Reboot

There looks to be a reboot in the works. They mentioned a July date and Triple D, Green Lama, Masquerade and Scarab being involved. It's suppose to get back the concept of the original series. Finger crossed, but I'm not holding my breath.
    Always remember, Murphy was an optimist
    Munchkin 1, 2, 4, 7 Super Munchkin 1&2, Munchkin Bites 1&2, Munchkin Fu, Star Munchkin Deluxe and Star 2
    http://ghornet.deviantart.com/

Yeah, they are doing the cheapo # 0 to kick it off. Will probably pick that up to see what its like.

https://www.hollywoodreporter.com/he...summer-1100113

PRIL 05, 2018 11:22am PT by Graeme McMillan Golden Age Superhero Property 'Project Superpowers' Gets Revival

Courtesy of Francesco Mattina/Dynamite EntertainmentDC's 'Suicide Squad' writer Rob Williams is the man behind the relaunch from Dynamite Entertainment.The future of the planet depends on the superheroes of the past — that’s the high concept behind Dynamite Entertainment’s upcoming revival of its Project Superpowers series, which features classic superheroes from the World War II era brought into the present day.

The new series, which launches with a 10-cent special issue, comes from writer Rob Williams (DC’s Suicide Squad and Unfollow, as well as 2000 AD’s Judge Dredd) and artist Sergio Davila (DC’s Injustice), and sees a return to concepts established 10 years ago by artist Alex Ross and writer Jim Krueger in Dynamite’s original Project Superpowers series; most recently, the title was used for an alternate-world take by writer Warren Ellis in 2015.

“In our new #0 you’ll see we’re introducing the new world via The (Death Defying) Devil and Green Lama,” Williams explained in a statement from the publisher. “We’ll flash back to introduce new readers to the team’s World War II origins and how they were brought to the present via imprisonment in Pandora’s box. And then it’s introducing a brand-new threat. One not so rooted in their history. The main players, which include The Black Terror, The Scarab, Masquerade, are going to have to form a new incarnation of the team. And The Spirit of the American Flag is hovering, watching, judging. … A new host is going to be taken.”

What makes Project Superpowers particularly interesting is that the characters aren’t contemporary creations aping period styles; heroes like the Green Lama, Black Terror and Masquerade were originally created in the 1940s by a number of different publishers, including Fox Comics and Nedor Comics, and currently exist in the public domain.

The first incarnation of Project Superpowers lasted two core series, as well as a number of individual miniseries spotlighting individual characters. The concept was later resurrected by Ellis in 2015, and most recently by Ryan Browne and Pete Woods last year, both of which used the characters outside of the framework created in the original series.

The new Project Superpowers series will begin in July.

Comment

Cover looks to reuse two of Ross's original character sketches with a new Triple D front piece. It does look to be interesting.
      Always remember, Murphy was an optimist
      Munchkin 1, 2, 4, 7 Super Munchkin 1&2, Munchkin Bites 1&2, Munchkin Fu, Star Munchkin Deluxe and Star 2
      http://ghornet.deviantart.com/

Comment

For awhile there it seems like DE was drifting off in publishing directions that left my interest in the company as a whole flagging. I was down to just reading the ERB stuff (Greatest Adventure and Red Sonja/Tarzan) and Sheena and Barbarella. Then, in an unexpected move, DE moved up to a "Premier Publisher" in Diamond Comics' PREVIEWS catalog, and took the opportunity of the occasion to re-launch PSP and add a new franchise of interest (Elvira, Mistress of the Dark) to me, as well as letting Joe Michael Linsner have a second crack at Vampirella with another miniseries, Roses For the Dead.

I enjoyed the two Rob Williams-written issues of PSP (#0 & 1), so I'll say things are looking more promising for me personally as far as being a customer of DE. That impression was only reinforced by the addition of more DE solicitations for titles like Vampirella/Dejah Thoris, Lone Ranger, Miss Fury, and Mars Attacks. Overall, I now have a much more positive, hopeful feeling about the company than I did six months to a year-and-a-half ago, as long as the majority of those new (or newly-revived) titles I mentioned don't turn out to be disappointments.

If they could return to a few more of the classic pulp/adventure-style heroes like The Shadow, Doc Savage, The Avenger, Green Hornet, The Phantom, Mandrake the Magician, and Flash Gordon -- done in the traditional CLASSIC versions, in stories set in the 1930s/1940s, I'd feel even better about the company. Another great addition to that group would be Edmond Hamilton's Captain Future. The original 1940s pulp SF hero was recently rebooted (with updated science, but remaining true the character's roots) in the authorized novel Avengers of the Moon by Allen Steele, and a comic adaptation and/or sequel to that would make a great series. E. E. 'Doc' Smith's Lensmen saga is another cosmic space epic with great concepts that would benefit from the same sort of treatment. The basic blueprint for DC's Green Lantern Corps seems to be heavily influenced by Smith's Lensman saga, which began with his novel Gray Lensman appearing in Astounding Stories in the early 1940s. Gray Lensman, Green Lantern... coincidence? I think not.
        Last edited by positronic; 08-06-2018, 03:36 AM.
        DE pull list: Will Eisner's The Spirit: The Corpse Makers, ERB's The Greatest Adventure, Green Hornet '66 Meets The Spirit, PSP: Herokillers, KISS/Vampirella, Mighty Mouse

Comment

Working...
        X